You may have be wondering, but are hesitant to ask, what are my go-to tools and supplies when starting a furniture project. Wonder no more! I have selected the top ten furniture refinishing essentials that help me take a piece of furniture from drab to fab.
Here’s my list for furniture refinishing. (in no particular order)
- Sandpaper & Sander
- Wood Filler
- Putty Knife
- Brushes & Rollers
- Topcoats – Wax & Poly
- Safety Equipment
- Cloth Rags
- Cardboard – yes, you read it right!
Sandpaper & Sander
A furniture refinisher’s best friend! This stuff is like magic and can solve the most ugly of situations.
It’s very versatile and dangerous – I can’t tell you how many times I have nicked myself with it – that blade has gotten very sharp over time! Duh-factor: anything with the word “knife” in it should be used with caution. ahem.
Brushes & Rollers
A WORD OF TRUTH
Topcoats – Wax & Poly
My health comes first to me and although it is quicker to just grab a rag and start working, I really feel that there are a couple items needed to protect yourself.
Tips & Tricks
- To remove veneer like butter off of hot toast, just soak a bath towel in water (nothing else)like you’re trying to drown the wood, and lay on veneer overnight. Even dump extra on. EASY!
- To hide scratches & minor blemishes wipe on Old English Scratch Cover. BAM! Comes in various shades to match you finish.
- To remove sticky residue from stickers, grab your alcohol. Not a drink, just your drug store Isopropyl stuff. GONE!
- To get rid of musty odor and smoke, just set your piece, with drawers removed, in the sun for a day or two or wipe down with vinegar. FRESH!