Home. Isn’t that one of the sweetest words there is. You can have a house, an apartment, even a yurt, but it isn’t a home unless there is something to make it so. I’m an blessed to have a home and family to share it with, but not all are so fortunate. Today, I’m delighted to share with you and invite you to take part in the Habitat for Humanity campaign “Home is the Key”.
What you see right here is the hub of our home. Our kitchen dining area is nothing more than a room to most folks. However, if you fill it with all the things I love, this is where we come together for nourishment, conversation, home schooling, and even some fun and games.
I snapped this pic on a Saturday lunchtime after we had all completed our chores, been working on our kitchen remodel, and just doing daily grind stuff. No fancy setting, but just a whole lotta love. Truth of the matter is there has been times when we sat right there no knowing how we were going to make it.
Like most, we have been dealt hard times and have many bills to tend to that have had us living from paycheck to paycheck. Today, I’m here to bring attention to a national campaign created by Habitat for Humanity to address the nation’s rising affordable housing crisis with the hope you will join me in helping others.
Here are some facts to consider:
- One in four households in the U.S. pays more than 30% of income for housing and may have difficulty affording necessities such as food or clothing.
- Virtually nowhere in the U.S. can a full-time employee earning minimum wage afford a one-bedroom apartment. Even two such jobs won’t rent a two-bedroom apartment in 29 states and the District of Columbia.
- Affordable housing can improve health outcomes by freeing up family resources for nutritious food and health care expenses.*
*provided by Habitat for Humanity
We have had the benefit of being able to keep up and get ahead, but not everyone is afforded such luxury for various reasons. A home should be a place of respite – where we can feel safe and secure.
We can join together by joining in this Habitat for Humanity campaign to provide access to decent housing opportunities. This non-profit organization has spent the last 40 years helping build thousands of homes in the U.S. and around the world. After all, it takes a thriving community of people to build thriving neighborhoods. If you’re like me, I want to touch the lives of real people working toward strength, stability and self-reliance.
Here’s how you can help. All through the month of April you are invited to join forces to make this campaign blast off. It really is simple and doesn’t take much of your time. And even if you see this after the campaign is over, you can still donate to help those in need.
Opportunities to help:
- Visit the Habitat for Humanity – Home is the Key and donate. Any dollar amount helps – give what you can.
- O’Cedar – will donate $1 to for every ProMist® Max spray mop sold from April 1- June 15
- At Home Stores – selling specialty patio umbrellas and coaster sets that support throughout April
- Chico’s FAS – donate in-store and online at:
- Chico’s: every sale of the Basic Essential Slub Tee will support from April 1 – May 31
- White House Black Market: proceeds of every Comfort Stretch Ankle Pant sold will support from April 23 – May 31
- Soma Intimates: each Cool Night Pajama separate will support from April 23 – May 31
- Kum & Go Convenience Stores – 10 cents of every specially marked water bottle sold will support
- Nissan – will donate $1 every time #HomeIsTheKey is shared on social media during April
- Schneider Electric – promoting campaign and drive donations
- HGTV – The Scott Brothers and iHeart that have joined to rally their customers to support
Families deserve the chance to start off on the right foot in a home and have it be affordable too. If the least thing we can do is share on social media, that’s still helping. Every little bit counts. Because if it weren’t for my family, my home wouldn’t have life in it, and without my home where would my family be?
So come join me on social media where Habitat for Humanity campaign will be giving away awesome prizes on Instagram. I’m doing what I can to show support to this fantastic cause. Share the pin image below to get those donations rolling in. Remember, use the hashtag #HomeIsTheKey when sharing. And…share with me your story. Leave a comment below telling us how have you been helped in some small (or BIG) way that made the difference for you.
Up next, this worn out ol’ gal will be getting a fantastic new look. See the new look over HERE. And…Sign up for my newsletter to get the updates. PLUS, you will get your FREE Furniture Buying Checklist and special discount to my shop.
Until next time!