Spring is in the air, which means it’s time to create some spring-like decor for the home. What better way than to use a rustic DIY stenciled burlap canvas?
I adore burlap because it is such a versatile medium. You can paint, sew, glue, and do all sorts of wonderful things with it. As for this project, spring can not come fast enough for me, so I’m all about a spring vibe.
Here’s what you’ll need to do this project:
- 12″ x 12″ stretched burlap canvas (you could make your own)
- acrylic paint – I used Folk Art Wrought Iron
- foam pouncer
- paint tray or a plastic lid
- painters tap (optional)
- small artist brush (optional)
- bird stencil (your choice)
- hot glue gun
- embellishments (have fun dressing it up!)
- cotton ball or swab
- brown ink pad
- scrapbook accessories
- coordinating marker, stamps, or computer print out of text, “Spring Song”
Before I started, I cut out a 12″ x 12″ piece of paper and “played” with the stencil to see how I wanted to lay out my design – a sort of dry run at it. You can skip this step, but it helps to be able to visualize your finished product.
Once you’re happy with the layout, use the tape to help hold the stencil in place (a buggy stencil can really drive you crazy!).
TIP: I used a hairdryer to dry the place I just painted before moving on to the next stenciling so that my stencil wouldn’t pick up the wet paint and transfer it to places I didn’t want it. That’s no fun.