We were beginning to work on our master bedroom (FINALLY!), and I wanted to show you the progress we’ve made so far with our farmhouse style.
To get you acquainted with our project you must know a few things. We live in a 1952 ranch Gunnison Home, which is basically an old-school manufactured home. You can read more about them here.
When we bought our home 13 years ago, it was carpeted throughout, even in the kitchen, and we knew that had to go. Much to our surprise, when we pulled up the white carpet in the living room (ugh, yes, white!) we found gorgeous red oak floors. Score!
That led us to take up the rest of the carpet in the bedrooms, except the master. Too busy with babies to mess with our room yet.
Enter current situation: With baby #6 on the way, it was time to finally do something with our room. After all, I deliver my guys at home and I want it to be in style!
We pulled up the carpet expecting to find the same gorgeous floors that we found in our boys’ room…wrong. Someone had glued down the carpet to the floor at some point, so there was adhesive all over that lovely floor. Eek!
Here’ what the start looked like…
This is the other side wall, which looks similar because it’s a 12′ x 12′ room.
And then there’s the closet…
*post contains affiliate links so you can find the products I love to use too! (see full disclosure)
My awesome hubby took this project on alone – I’m not at the point of being able to get on hand and knees with baby bump and already aching back.
When he works 10-12 hr. days, the only time to make progress is in the little bit of evening you get and on weekends. So…every night for two weeks he would grab the bottle of Krud Kutter Adhesive Remover and his scraper and work in small patches to remove the gunk.
Let’s just say this guy has patience to deal with this awful mess inch by inch. You might wonder why we didn’t just sand the floor down. However, sanding was not an option because we would blow our whole budget on sanding pads alone.
With the adhesive removed, it was time to sand. Instead of paying high rental fees and high costs for sanding pads, we used a belt sander which cut the costs by 80%. It just means hours on the knees…again. I told you he rocks!
In case you’re wondering how to attempt this yourself, we started with a 50 grit paper working diagonal both ways, then moved on to 80 grit in the direction of the grain. To finish, we used a 120 grit for the final sanding.
Aah. Floor is sanded and ready for the next step, stain.
Our finished desire is a rustic farmhouse style bedroom with a French flair and we decided to give it an aged look by using a Sunbleached Stain by RustOleum.
Using a cast-off sock, we applied the stain, being sure to take off the excess within a 5 minute or so span. The floor only needed one coat (as the label states) and was really easy to attain what we wanted.
For the topcoat, we used Rustoleum Satin Floor Finish with a lambswool applicator. The first coat only had to dry for 3 hours and then we could apply the next coat. Overall we applied four coats as the can recommended. Easy!
Seriously, it is a gorgeous finish and the pictures don’t do it justice. Remember, we’re in the dead of winter here in the northeast and the sunny days are few and far between. Plus, we’re working mostly in the evening.
Even without the walls and ceiling done, it already feels fresh.
Although it’s a slow process for us due to lack of time (we are a family of 8!) we are enjoying the progress. We can’t wait to show it to you completed. Share if you love it too!
To see the next steps, head below…
In case you didn’t think we were nutty enough, we also have been tackling our farmhouse style master bath…oh what fun!