When you’re out shopping do you sometimes buy two of something simply because it’s a good deal? I do! Especially when it comes to furniture. A local seller was offering two chests of drawers that were relatively the same size, but differed in appearance. This one below is my subject for today’s makeover. I’m going to show you how I not only repair this piece, but turn it into an industrial chest of drawers. (giveaway alert for my favorite brushes!!)
This particular dresser was looking like it was embarrassed – like it was red in the face. When JC brought it home I wasn’t exactly thrilled to see it as the owner didn’t describe it well. First, there was a huge hole in the top that had been repaired and was the repair was shrinking. And it was among friends with nicks and dings all over.
Then, there was the issue of the top being entirely too short – like ¾” too short from the back. Not to mention the finish was just awful. I’m assuming the gap was from a mirror, but also could have been a decorative piece that had gone missing. I couldn’t really tell because the back panel showed no signs of hardware holes as it had been replaced, nor did it have any holes in the back top.
What’s a girl to do about that? Well, you could replace the top, but I felt it would be much easier to just fill that gap with a decorative piece. We did the same to the chest of drawers we installed in our bathroom as a vanity. It serves as our backsplash and works awesome.
In case you are wondering, the other chest was in no need of a face-lift and is available in my shop as seen below. (SOLD) See how it’s similar in size and design, just a different drawer setup.
Okay, so to get this looking like an industrial chest of drawers, I grabbed a hardwood board from my stash and cut it to length with my miter saw. Then, I sketched out my design and traced it onto the board. The best way to get the design is measure to find center, create a template exactly half the size, then trace it on both ends of the board flipping it at center. That allows you to replicate your design exactly on both sides.
I even decided to replace those knobs with new pulls, so I filled the holes and sanded those too. While at it I decided to lightly sand everything down for a fresh finish to be applied.
Enter in a new
toy, ahem…tool. I have long since wanted one of these cabinet hardware jigs to save my brain from becoming crazy trying to not only get measurements placed evenly, but level. Check it out….this thing allows me to set the measurements for pulls (or knobs), set it in place and then drill. How stinkin’ cool is that?!
This is when I begin to sing, “I love my tools, I love my tools! O how they make life easy.” (to the tune of O Christmas tree). Yes, I do love to sing when working. tsk. Doesn’t everyone?
I’m just so stoked. No more drill bit slipping and I can know they will be level.
Since I liked the look the drawers got when I sanded them down, I left them be and applied a Black Wax to the fronts using one of my favorite brushes. Zibra brushes are so absolutely versatile for stains, paints, finishes and any project you can think of. This particular brush is an older Square Brush I deemed for use for waxing as it was not up to par for paint any longer. Brush the wax on and rub off with a soft cloth.
Because I’m after an industrial style chest, I planned to distress after painting. In order for that decorative piece I added to match, it needed to peek a stain out from under paint. Using my Angled Brush, I apply a cherry stain that is similar to the current color. Like the wax brush I used, this one stays dedicated to stain applications.
Using my Stubby Brush, the cabinet gets a nice rich coat of this paint. Application is so easy with the right brush, which is why I can’t get enough of these brushes. You can seem them in action on many more of my posts HERE.
After two coats of paint letting them cure in between, then topping off with wax, my rustic industrial chest is ready to go. It’s a far cry from the before, isn’t it?
That top, back piece I added really sets it off nicely and I’m glad I gave it a try. The bin pulls are extras I had from using in my kitchen remodel, they fit this piece perfectly. If you look close, I even added a couple of escutcheons to make it look like it has skeleton key holes. The metal accents I added match the original steel casters. I have a thing for casters…mmm….
The Tin Lizzie embroidery was a piece I scored off the curb on trash day along with some other prints I wrote about in this blog post here. I just love it! The velocipede was a thrifted find I painted black to hang on the boys’ bedroom wall. Gotta love thrift stores, right?
And just for fun, I lined the drawers with a paper. Who doesn’t love to peek at pretty things even on the inside too? I know I do.
Like most of my project pieces, this industrial chest of drawers is now available in my shop. We ship most anywhere and the best part is our costs are half of most and we can ship more than one piece of furniture for the same price.
Time for some more fun! You know I love to inspire you to give DIY a try and what better way than by putting my favorite brushes in your hand? Woot! Up for grabs is this sweet boxed set of brushes from Zibra.
Easy entry, just fill out the widget below for as many entries as you like, daily even. Open to U.S. and Canada residents 18 years of age and older. Winner will be notified via email and will have 24 hours to claim their prize. Be sure to check your spam!
Do pin and share this industrial chest makeover to encourage others to give DIY a try. We can make our house our home for so much less.
Up next, I’m taking this old barn screen and turning into fabulous farmhouse decor. Stay updated and be sure to sign up for my newsletter. PLUS, you will get your FREE Furniture Buying Checklist and special discount to my shop. Until next time!