There’s no doubt that we all have those projects that go sour and we’d rather not mention. Am I right? Ya know, the “just-donate-it-to-the-thrift-store-while-in-super-sleuth-mode” kinda project. I will be the first to confess I’ve given away projects I would have rather thrown in a lake. So, for some reason I felt bad for this set found at the thrift store. Hang with me as I turn them into a fun set of farmhouse kitchen canisters. yahoo!
My first thought upon seeing them was, “Pinterest fail…bwahahaha”. However, that morphed into, “Well, they tried.” Me and my pitying self always loves to help the underdog, so I brought them home. I figured there are others who might want to know how to do this kinda project the right way.
Let’s take a closer look. Upon inspection, I found that latex paint was used, and said person didn’t feel the need to paint the inside. That green had me curious as to what was underneath. hmmmm…
The bottoms revealed the typical, “Made in China” stamp I expected to see.
The entire set was in good shape with no cracks or chips, just a flubbed-up paint job. What to do? Take it all back to the original, for starters. My littlest wanted to help, so we dove into my utility tub and peeled off the old paint.
Here is what we found…
*post contains affiliate links so you can find the products I love to use too. (see full disclosure)
…not bad, eh? After seeing this I was ready to just let them be as they’re pretty. However, I reminded myself that I only took these on to show you how you can update something that may not suit your style and make it your own. I wasn’t feeling the ivy love, personally, but they are pretty.
To get these looking like farmhouse kitchen canisters, the first order of business is to give them a light sanding. Nothing major needed, just a scuffing. My Corner Cat made it handy to sand in all the odd spaces. You could also use a Deglosser too.
Once sanded, wipe down the canisters with rubbing alcohol to remove any leftover debris and grime. I’ve used this same technique with a collection of cast-off glass in this post. Simple and easy.
The next step in turning these into farmhouse kitchen canisters is priming. A favorite product of mine to use is Gripper primer for slick surfaces like this that would receive much use. You can see how I used it on a laminate hutch desk HERE. Just brush on using a quality brush like this Fan Brush to avoid brush strokes in your finish. I’m not kidding when I say your first layer is as important as your last layer.
Once cured, it’s time for paint. Fun! My goal in this farmhouse kitchen canisters makeover is to make them resemble old crocks with a brown top and creamy white bottom. To achieve that look, I began by painting a bleached linen color latex in eggshell on the bottom going roughly half way up. No need to be super particular, just watch the brush strokes. Work around the canister rather than vertically.
Paint the bottoms and stand the canisters upside-down to cure for about 2 hours for the time being. After your first coat has cured, add a second and let cure too.
Now that the two creamy white layers have cured, I use my low-tack FrogTape to tape off a section of the canisters approximately half-way up.
For my second color, I applied a brown in latex I custom mixed. Again, two coats letting cure each one for 2 hours. As soon as I apply the second coat, I peel off the tape.
To add a little more function and charm to these farmhouse kitchen canisters, I decided to add some text to each one. This is easily done by printing out your text, and rubbing the back with a No. 2 pencil.
Tape the text on with the same low-tack tape, and trace. I chose to use Flour, Sugar, Salt as my text.
For the next step, I used my artist’s brush and painted in the text with a black acrylic paint. Let the text cure and we’re ready for the last step. Yay!
I can’t say enough how much I love my spray shelters. They make my projects so much easier and less hassle with overspray and dust getting in my finish. For the canisters, I used my small spray shelter and my turntable with a piece of cardboard on top. This allows me to spin the canisters while I spray this Satin Spar Urethane as a finish.
Notice I started with the bottoms up so I could do two layers with curing in between, and then finished with the tops. It’s all a matter of doing the steps in the right order AND letting each step cure.
Let’s take a peek at the finished product, shall we?
From hot mess to farmhouse fun, this thrifted set never looked so good. Notice how nice the finish is. A great brush is the key to this smooth look. As a result, all these needed was the right steps to get a finished look worth admiring.
And, looky…I even painted the inside! tee hee.
Also, many thanks to my daughter for baking this pumpkin bread so I could drool over it while I staged my canisters. mmm…so good!!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this makeunder turned makeover. It was fun to see this set be made new. In addition, the best part is you can make them to look any way YOU want. All it takes is a willing DIY spirit to make it happen.
If you’re not into DIY or just would love to own this set, you can find it available in my shop. (SOLD) You can also find 7 styles of my favorite brushes there too.
I’ve had fun staging these in my kitchen. The finishing touches are all I need and also a willing spirit to reveal the entire remodel to you. However, it has taken such a long time I’m not sure where to start. But…do know I have it planned to happen soon.
I invite you to pin and share these farmhouse kitchen canisters made new. You just never know who may need to be inspired. Thank you!
Up next, this vintage Dixie dresser is going to get a much needed facelift. See the after HERE.