Nothing makes me happier that to share a new project with you. However, when it’s a project that is done by one of my kids, I get beyond excited, even giddy. My proud mama heart takes over and I it amazes me how hard they work to get the job done. Take my oldest daughter’s latest project, an ugly painted beast in the before. Miss C is going to tame this brown beast and show you how it became an updated Art Deco chest of drawers. You go girl!
Many of you know that I have sworn off bringing home awfully painted furniture. I have had my fun messing with them, but apparently my husband keeps forgetting my promise to self, so when I send him out to retrieve project pieces he brings these things home. Bless his heart. Being the good mother I am I pawn these items off on my children. bwahahaha!!
Honestly though, in the storage unit lot I purchased and have mentioned in my last two furniture makeovers seen HERE and OVER HERE, my daughter wanted a piece to work on. This one was one of the cheaper ones and now we know why. ahem. This poor thing was done wrong.
If you also know me, then you know I have a heart for these vintage waterfall chests, and waterfall furniture in any form. So…Miss C decided to tackle it and give it her all. You have to check out her past work here.
First, we wanted to see what was under that paint, so she applied CitriStrip to the drawers and covered it with plastic wrap until it had eaten away at a few layers. These Art Deco pieces are known for their intricate veneer designs and we were hoping to strike gold.
Upon first count, we found FOUR layers of paint – white, blue, green, and the awful brown. We were hopeful as we saw a veneer pattern showing up and she continued to scrape. See that lighter strip just under her arms?
*post includes affiliate links so you can find the products we love to use too. (see full disclosure)
Well, what we had hoped to find was a cool veneer, but instead we found a cheapo adhered veneer look-a-like…basically a sticker. meh. I’ve encountered this before when I did this empire set. It’s basically a hack of a quality piece.
What to do? Break out my sander and see if we can score some wood. Things were looking so much better at this point.
Do you know what she found? Cherry!! We looked at each other dumbfounded because this beautiful wood was not only painted FOUR times, but they stuck that awful faux sticker on it! Things that make you go hmmm…??
Since Miss C had planned to paint the cabinet, she hit it with a good sanding to get rid of all the awful brush strokes and give the surface tooth to work with. Nothing like working out in the snow, eh? hahaha. It was actually kinda warm that day for us northerners.
Once all was prepped, Miss C decided to get this updated Art Deco chest started and stain the drawer fronts with one of my favorite stains, Early American (as seen in these posts). After that, she topcoated with Gator Hide using a Stubby Brush.
That looks much better…sigh…
For the cabinet, she applied the same Griper Primer I’ve used on my Broyhill desk. It creates such an awesome bond between surface and paint. Works wonders on laminate or previously painted surfaces. Buh-bye cow brown!
For the actual paint, Miss C chose to use one of my faves, Drop Cloth. You can see how I’ve used in these past projects. She applied two coats letting it cure in between. Then, she used Tea Rose to paint the drawer insides and sides since they were still pretty ugly with traces of four layers of paint too.
Now for the finishing touches. She wanted to add some sort of pep to the drawer fronts, so I helped her create an image that we could project using my thrifted overhead projector. She used…get this…a pencil eraser to apply her dots in this filigree pattern. I used this technique all the time and it works wonderfully. (notice Teddy manning the overhead projector for us. What a cutie.)
Once done, she did another coat of Gator Hide to the drawer fronts and applied a coat of White Wax to seal it all together. Here’s the new and updated Art Deco chest of drawers, if I do say as my proud mama self.
Doesn’t it look soooo much better? The soft, creamy white against the stained fronts makes a beautiful contrast. The Rose Drawer Pulls add that delicate touch that Miss C carried over into the inside of the drawers as well with Tea Rose paint and Rose Drawer Liner.
And her added filigree art to the front makes it have a new twist to this updated Art Deco Chest. Fun what you can do with a pencil and paint…and a thrifted overhead projector. hee hee.
As always with my kiddos, they’re working to earn up a saving for themselves, and Miss C is offering this chest of drawers available for purchase in my shop. We ship right to your door and can ship more than one piece of furniture (or any small item) for the same cost. Sign up below for my newsletter for instant savings.
We invite you to pin and share this updated Art Deco chest of drawers to inspire others (including kids!!) to see past the ugly and see potential. It really can be done!